Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

Succubus Blues
A Georgina Kincaid Novel

By Richelle Mead
Narrated by Elisabeth Rodgers

Succubus (n) - An alluring, shape-shifting demon who seduces and pleasures mortal men.

Pathetic (adj.) - A succubus with great shoes and no social life. See: Georgina Kincaid.


When it comes to jobs in hell, being a succubus seems pretty glamorous. A girl can be anything she wants. The wardrobe is killer, and mortal men will do anything just for a touch. Granted, they often pay with their souls, but why get technical?

But Seattle succubus Georgina Kincaid’s life is far less exotic. Her boss is a middle-management demon with a thing for John Cusack movies. Her immortal best friends haven’t stopped teasing her about the time she shape-shifted into the Demon Goddess get-up complete with whip and wings. And she can’t have a decent date without sucking away part of the guy’s life. At least there’s her day job at a local bookstore—free books, all the white chocolate mochas she can drink, and easy access to bestselling, sexy writer, Seth Mortensen, aka He Whom She Would Give Anything to Touch but Can’t.

But dreaming about Seth will have to wait. Something wicked is at work in Seattle’s demon underground. And for once, all of her hot charms and drop-dead one-liners won’t help because Georgina’s about to discover there are some creatures out there that both heaven and hell want to deny…
My review guidelines can be found HERE.

PARANORMALITY
  • Succubus
  • Demon
  • Angel
  • Vampires
  • Imp
  • Nephilim

SEXUALITY
  • M/F

REVIEW
  • I have discovered this with audio books in the past; they move too slow but the lengthening of the story causes me to think about it through out the day/week.

  • The wit is lovely. A succubus as just a normal everyday Jane. Not at the top with the greater immortals, not at the bottom with the humans.

  • Vulnerable with her false bravado in the face of a vampire and her faux pax with her favorite author.

  • I continuously find myself laughing out loud (since I am "reading" via audiobook on my ipod, I tend to get a few stares).

  • I thoroughly enjoyed watching the relationships evolve. The ending almost had me in tears. (I know, I'm such a girl!)

  • The mystery aspect kept me guessing, trying to figure out who was who. I was even right a couple of times!

  • This is a beautiful set up for an epic series. The super villian is forged before our eyes. Love withstands killing blows. Good and evil are questioned and human existance/purpose investigated. All this with a quirky middle management reluctant succubus paving the way.

I am so moving on to Succubus on Top and will most likely seek to add a printed version of Succubus Blues to my keeper shelf. I have a feeling that reading the story vs. listening to the story will reveal even more details that my wandering attention may have missed.

Read an excerpt HERE.

Georgina Kincaid reading order
Succubus #6 (untitled and unknown release date)

Sweet nightmares...

5 comments:

Great review! I absolutely LOVE this series - I've read all of the books now & am very impatiently waiting for the next installment to come out in March LOL.

I've included a link to your post in my review :o) http://bookreviewsbysarah.blogspot.com/2010/01/succubus-blues-richelle-mead.html

Love this series! Glad you're enjoying it.

Great review hon, I have had my eye on this series every time I go into the book store... Might have to actually pick up the next time!
Hope you had a great night!

Great review. For me it was the mystery and the characters that kept me reading. There's some great characterisation (sp?) in this series.

great review! i cant wait to get into Succubus on Top.

I felt sad too especially about Roman! *sigh*

but i love the mix of paranormal creatures in this also...and seeing them as you listed them just drives home the fact that it wasn't just one species (can you call them that?)

i think it adds to the humor and dynamic of the friendships.

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica