Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

Funny, just a little bit sexy, and scientifically intriguing - Paranormal romance with steam!

Souless

by Gail Carriger

The Parasol Protectorate, Book 1 

Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette. 

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate. 

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

SOULLESS is a comedy of manners set in Victorian London: full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking.

PARANORMALITY

• Werewolves & Vampires, Socially Integrated

• Ghosts, Soulless, Evil Scientists

SEXUALITY

• Some steamy encounters (pun intended!) with moderate language. Explicit but in no way vulgar.


REVIEW

• Another book I caught myself thinking about when I wasn't reading it. The dynamic between Alexia and Lord Maccon plays in your head, not-so-subtle barbs, hot indecipherable looks, compromising positions!


• Steampunk creations stimulate that scientific part of my mind, giving me another reason to contemplate the characters when I was away from them.

• Alexia's tone is so... perfectly distant and assessing. As if she believes she is simply a shell but it is quite obvious she is a whole person despite the supposed state of her soul. 

• Pick this one up and indulge in a strong willed, smart and capable woman ready to accept every challenge in her life and investigate it to the fullest extent. 



4 comments:

I really liked this book. The best in the series in my opinion.

Howdy Miss Sweet. It's been a while... hope all's good.

Miss Sweet?

Sweet!

I'm Baaack!

How have you been? I've missed you!!!!!!

Ah, hugs for the link below! You're a sweetheart.

I've got a post up today - come on by and visit!
Hugs
Hawk

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica