My review guidelines can be found HERE.
Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter 15
by Laurell K. Hamilton
Anita Blake is about to face the challenge of her life. Into her world-a world already overflowing with power-have come creatures so feared that powerful, centuries-old vampires refuse to mention their names. It is forbidden to speak of The Harlequin unless you've been contacted. And to be contacted by The Harlequin is to be under sentence of death.
Long-time rivals for Anita's affections, Jean-Claude, Master Vampire of the City, and Richard, alpha-werewolf, will need to become allies. Shapeshifters Nathaniel and Micah will have to step up their support. And then there's Edward. In this situation, Anita knows that she needs to call the one man who has always been there for her...
• They got the mask all wrong!
• Anita gets up close and personal with a lot of people:
Mother of Darkness
• She gets ruthless with the local lion pride while her inner lioness gets ruthless with her. Oh, and cookie is back. I really really like him. Even though he is like almost a bad guy, I just like him. He tries.
• Richard tries too. But it is not enough. Homophobic ass. Too bad he cuts himself off from the salvation of love.
• The arduer plays and ever bigger role and takes on a few new facets.
• Edward is back with Olaf in tow. Ugg, he becomes even more smitten with Anita in really bad ways. *shudder* That man is one awesome bad good guy. I keep wanting to picture him like the old time strong men at the circus. But then he will get described as a slim attractive powerful man. That just doesn't stick in my head.
• Edward's crisis of family is so not like him. But he is morphing. Its very odd to see and his actions do not settle comfortably with me. I can't guess what his character is going to do next, and I used to be able to.
• Nathaniel is finally finding his voice but Anita doesn't know what to do about it. She is figuring it out, but much too slow for my tastes. Maybe because I like a little bit of what Nathaniel is asking for and want to read more about it!
• Requiem takes a larger roll this time around, though he is a big confusing mess. Emotionally twisted. Reminds me of Dolph.
• Dolph makes a few cameos that suggest bigger trouble in books to come. *foreshadowing*
• Anita really is the candy everyone wants in this book and everyone tries to kill her if they can't have her!
• A super rollercoaster of a paranormal ride. Sprinkle in some hot smexin' and just a touch of horror (there have been books in this series that are much worse) and you uncover a classic Anita story with all the important characters and elements.
I received this book from a friend for Christmas. Thanks, Taylor!
Get sucked into the rising tension of the first two chapters HERE.
I read this book in conjunction with the Anita Blake Reading Challenge.
Did you review this book too?
Comment with your link! (Usually at the top of the post.)