Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

Vintage sweetness from old misunderstanding sail right into your heart.

A Black Tie Affair
by Sherrill Bodine

SUITED FOR SEDUCTION

Fashion curator Athena Smith will do anything to get her perfectly manicured hands on the Clayworth family's celebrated couture collection for her exhibit. So when she's called in to make sure the gowns are the real deal, she's ecstatic...until a dress she's examining turns out to be loaded with toxins (talk about killer threads!) and Athena faints, only to wake up face-to-face with the One That Got Away, notorious Chicago bachelor Drew Clayworth.

Drew still believes Athena betrayed him all those years ago, and he's sure he can't trust her. But when the priceless gowns go missing, she offers to help track them down. Reluctantly allied in the quest, Drew and Athena are soon stunned by the barely restrained passion still sizzling between them...and memories both bitter and sweet. Is their new partnership just a business arrangement? Or is this something more than...

A BLACK TIE AFFAIR

My review guidelines can be found HERE.

COVER ART

• I really think that should be a black dress on the cover, the first vintage dress she collected. Reminds me of the scene where they dance in the museum, alone.



PARANORMALITY

• I put this book down for a couple days when I THOUGHT that time travel had been thrown in. Not the case, thank goodness.

• Greek Mythology references



SEXUALITY

• M/F, old feelings fight for a chance to florish
• Make out sessions; in a closet, in a yacht...

• Extended innings, not described in detail.



REVIEW
 
• Inspired by a true story about a museum curator being poisoned by a vintage Dior dress!

• This story has a lot of key elements for me: Vintage clothing and accessories (I love this stuff), Sailing (I grew up on a sailboat), and candy!
 

• Misunderstandings seems to be a theme along with a bit of sleuthing. 

• The sisters are tight, they way I would want my siblings to be. 

• Athena's backstory relationship with her father is strangely similar with mine with my mother in adolescence. I told her everything!

• Limited plot development with predictable twists. 


• Conflict resolved much too quickly in relation to the anticipation.

• Luke-warm sex scenes.

• Open-ended epilouge. Leaves room for a few sequels and a continuation of the story line that should have been resolved in this story.

Sweet fast and comfortable. A nice change from my usual complicated and dramatic urban fantasy novels. And a lot less blood too!


Read an Upskirt Tuesday Teaser HERE.

Read an Eyecandy Tuesday Teaser HERE.

Read a "charming" excerpt HERE.

I received this book through a contest at Books and Needlepoint. Thanks again, Kristi!

Did you review this book too?
Comment with your link!

4 comments:

I like the purple dress, though. :)

Ugh. Don't tell me it was the BM? Separated for years because neither one asked the other what the hell was up?

Sounds nice enough, one of those comfort read romances.

Hey Sweets!

Just dropping in to see what on the fire! Always interesting stuff going on over here!

Hugs
Hawk

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica