Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

Insatiable
by Meg Cabot
Audiobook Runtime: 16 hours, 28 minutes


Sick of hearing about vampires? So is Meena Harper. But her bosses are making her write about them anyway, even though Meena doesn't believe in them.

Not that Meena isn't familiar with the supernatural. See, Meena Harper knows how you're going to die. (Not that you're going to believe her. No one ever does.) But not even Meena's precognition can prepare her for what happens when she meets - then makes the mistake of falling in love with - Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side. It's a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire hunters, would prefer to see him dead for.

The problem is, Lucien's already dead. Maybe that's why he's the first guy Meena's ever met whom she could see herself having a future with. See, while Meena's always been able to see everyone else's future, she's never been able look into her own. And while Lucien seems like everything Meena has ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, he might turn out to be more like a nightmare.

Now might be a good time for Meena to start learning to predict her own future....If she even has one.
My review guidelines can be found HERE.

COVER ART
  • Gown and pose suggest historical novel, it is not and I have passed over it many times because I thought it was.

  • Wooden stake looks like a knife in a scabbard without close inspection

  • Feels generic and unrelated to the story

PARANORMALITY
  • Vampires

  • ESP

SEXUALITY
  • M/F

  • Forced

  • Warm foreplay, but skipped the juicy stuff. No explicit sex scenes.

AUDIO REVIEW
  • Narrator Emily Bauer does a good job, BUT I have heard better distinction between character voices along with mental verses spoken dialogue.

  • I enjoyed the audio, but found myself slightly confused a couple times due to lack of tone change to signify a secondary character voice.

PLOT REVIEW
  • pre-apocalyptic, mystery style, paranormal romance

  • Primarily set in modern day New York City, the paranormals live among us undetected.

  • Dueling emotions within Meena, echo the dueling men suddenly shadowing her life; Aleric & Lucian. 2/3 of the way through the book and I am still not sure who is going to get the girl, if any one.

  • My suspicion grows throughout the story that this may be a set up to a series. I don't think I want that. My vote is for this to wrap up into a stand alone. *Darn, it is a series.

  • Nice integration of true history paired with vampire folk lore to create a believable backstory; Joan of Arc, George and the Dragon, Vlad the Impaler

Listen to a sample here --->

Read a few excerpts HERE.

Did you review this book too?
Comment with your link! (Usually at the top of the post.)

Sweet daydreams...

7 comments:

Wow what a great review hon. And very honest. You know I have not given audio a try yet.... and I am still on the fence about it. I just am not sure about fitting another voice besides my own (and what I think the characters) should sound like. But I love your reviews of it.
And you are right about the dress... I thought it was historical too.

The voice usually grows on you. But I have come across a few that I just couldn't tolerate and had to abort. :(

The covers of Meg Cabot books are often misleading. I skipped over the Heather Wells series because of the cover and the title as I thought it was about dieting or an eating disorder.

hmmm. Don't think I'll rush right out for this one. I'm not sure I've ever done an audio book. I tried one once, but had trouble with the voices I think. I like to give them my own. :)

Thanks for the review. lol, the audio started by itself when I got here, and I had the volume turned all the way up... scared me. Couldn't figure out what was going on!

Have a great day :)

ps, had to check out your stormtrooper guy again. lol, that still just makes me laugh!

Great review! I may have to give this one a shot. I've read some of Cabot's YA Mediator series, and they were okay. My students really liked them.

Very well thought out and candid review. I generally like audio books but if the reader isn't great, then the story doesn't come across nearly as well.

When I saw your post title in my blogroll I thought you were lucky enough to have read an ARC of Lauren Dane's novel (you know, the one with the delish cover model). ;D
This one by Meg Cabot doesn't seem to call my name. Great review!

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica