Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

Covet
A Novel of the Fallen Angels
by J. R. Ward
Audiobook runtime: 14 hours 42 minutes


Redemption isn’t a word Jim Heron knows much about—his specialty, both personally and professionally, is revenge, and to him, sin is all relative. But everything changes when he becomes a fallen angel and is charged with saving the souls of seven people from the seven deadly sins. His weapon: the power of love. His enemy: the darkest of evil. And failure is not an option.

Vincent Di Pietro has surrendered himself to his business—until fate intervenes in the form of a tough-talking, Harley-riding, self-professed savior, and a woman who will make him question his destiny. With an ancient evil ready to claim him, Vin has to work with a fallen angel not only to win his beloved over…but to redeem his very soul.
My review guidelines can be found HERE.

COVER ART
  • Got a bit of a conflict going on with the text size. What is more important, the author or the title?
  • Very nice use of blackletter style font for the secondary series title.
  • I miss the dog, guess a pup on the cover would convey the wrong tone.
  • Mr. Leather clad motorcycle man has a very similar tone to the BDB novels, appropriate since both series reside in the same world.

PARANORMALITY
  • Angels
  • Demons
  • Dog

SEXUALITY
  • M/F
  • Prostitution

REVIEW
  • There is a bit of graphic violence, just to warn you and foreshadow the tone.

  • More thriller, less romance.

  • Parallel events within the already established Black Dagger Brotherhood world of Caldwell, NY.

  • Primary characters Trey & Marie-Terese were secondary characters in BDB.

  • What is up with Dog? Humm... this constant companion is more than he seems.

  • Sometimes I wonder just who is angel and demon... they are not as clear cut as you would think. Shady motives abound.

  • Lots of questions left open at the end. Leaves you hungry for the next book in the series.

  • Titillating sex scene at Vin's childhood home, intense emotion and unpredictable actions integrated it into the story. The lead up to this scene made it even better. Sure did heat up my earbuds! And I must admit, I listened to it a couple times. But of course that is because my mp3 player was acting up... yeah.... that's why that section repeated over and over again.

  • I kinda lost my steam close to the end with Divina moving house. For some reason I was sick of her character already. But at the very end, Jim's 2 side kicks describe/warn him about her possible future actions and I got excited again. She wasn't so boring with a little extra explanation.

  • Yay! HEA... for at least someone! But don't confuse that with light. Heavy is the tone of this tome.

  • Dark apocolypitic theme leads me to believe that there will be 7 books in this series, one for each deadly sin.

  • Ms. Ward's style is very evident. If you liked BDB, I think you could easily get sucked into this series as well.

Read an excerpt HERE.

Listen to an excerpt -->

This book was spotlighted on my Tuesday Teaser HERE.

Did you review this book too?
Comment with your link! (at the top of this post)

Sweet nightmares...


Comment link is at the top of the post.

2 comments:

I haven't been tempted by this one so far.

I liked it, mostly. It's been awhile since I read it, but I remember thinking it dragged a bit for me. I chalked it up to series set-up type of thing. Looking forward to Crave in Sept. :))

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica