Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

My work "book club" is active once again. It's not really a book club in the traditional sense, more like a book club on steroids. We work at a college and choose a book for incoming freshmen to read. So at any one time I am reading 3 books out of a selection of 35 being read throughout the group.

Currently, I have The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to our Brains by Nicholas Carr running on audiobook. This scientific theory on technology influencing our mental evolution is pretty darn informative but the backstory/corroborating evidence meanders for hours. If you are engaged in the subject, you willingly trip down those bunny trails, but a high school senior on summer break - no way. This non-fiction has a high skim probability.

Also on my coffee table is the memoir Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Trail by Cheryl Stayed in hardback. Initial conversation in the group had me on the fence, but now that I am digging into the story I'm sure I will fly through it once I give myself a nice chunk of time to sit and read. It has the potential to be dark and dirty, but even though there is some underside of life stuff mentioned (sex, drugs, adultery, abortion), the focus is on the journey (so far) and her mental evolution. Still not sure the freshmen will love it but it's a maybe at the moment.

Anyone else had a taste of these two books?

2 comments:

SWEET!

You haven't added my blog site below! }:-/ how come? OK besides that I came over to tell you that there is a big Contest over at Hawk's blog...two agents are running a contest to give two lucky winners FREE software on writing a selling plot and FREE books on writing a selling story...there will be 6 WINNERS. This software is awesome...I use it and I'm about to sign a contract on my erotic series! GO visit Hawk at http://houstonawknight.blogspot.com and take all your friends...

Kisses
Houston

I haven't read it, but one of our reading groups at school read The Shallows.

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica