My review guidelines can be found HERE.
God's Warby Kameron Hurley
Ebook, Publication January 2011
Nyx had already been to hell. One prayer more or less wouldn t make any difference...
On a ravaged, contaminated world, a centuries-old holy war rages, fought by a bloody mix of mercenaries, magicians, and conscripted soldiers. Though the origins of the war are shady and complex, there's one thing everybody agrees on--
There's not a chance in hell of ending it.
Nyx is a former government assassin who makes a living cutting off heads for cash. But when a dubious deal between her government and an alien gene pirate goes bad, Nyx's ugly past makes her the top pick for a covert recovery. The head they want her to bring home could end the war--but at what price?
The world is about to find out.
• Bugpunk (or BiFi / Biological Fiction)
• Bugs, bugs, everywhere, in your body and in the air, eating your corpses and cleaning your spit, repairing your organs and fueling your ship, playing walkie talkie and traded as cash.
• Boy Toys
• The world building is intense. Expect to be confused and off balance while you get the various warring countries and religions straight in your head along with the bugpunk aspects of magicians and partially organic car engines.
• Fight, fight, fight!
• Bel Dame (Government bounty hunter) turned rouge. Retrieving heads for cash. And selling body parts on the side, her own.
• "Reconstituted from the front" All the men are sent to the front lines of the war and the women are left behind and have morphed into their own social structure because the men just aren't coming back. Our protagonist "died" at the front with her brothers but was brought back and reconstituted (perhaps because of her Bel Dame status?) - a super magician and lots of bugs put her back together again with new organs etc.
• This a DNF for me, not because I don't want to finish but because I put it down for too long and have yet to get back into the complexities of the story.
• The cover!
Here is the awesome website for this book!