Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

From horses to fatigues, this emotional rollercoaster shows what family is all about.

Keeping Promise Rock
by Amy Lane
10hrs 51min Audiobook

Carrick Francis has spent most of his life jumping into trouble with both feet. The only thing saving him from prison or worse is his absolute devotion to Deacon Winters. Deacon was Crick's sanity and salvation during a miserable, abusive childhood, and Crick would do anything to stay with him forever. So when Deacon's father dies, Crick puts his college plans on hold to help Deacon as Deacon has helped him.

Deacon's greatest wish is to see Crick escape his memories and the town they grew up in so Crick can enjoy a shining future. But after two years of growing feelings and temptation, the painfully shy Deacon finally succumbs to Crick's determined advances and admits he sees himself as part of Crick's life.

It nearly destroys Deacon when he discovers Crick has been waiting for him to push him away, just like Crick's family did in the past. When Crick's knack for volatile decisions lands him far away from home, Deacon is left, shell-shocked and alone, struggling to reforge his heart in a world where love with Crick is a promise, but by no means a certainty.
My review guidelines can be found HERE.


COVER ART

• Hand Illustration ties in beautifully to the story
• Cursive font fits with the internal love story
• Missing horses or army fatigues


NORMALITY

• Horse ranch
• US Army
• Small town


SEXUALITY

• M/M
• Cherry Vaseline Lipbalm
• Statutory Rape, M/F


AUDIO REVIEW

• Weird to listen to all the dedications in the beginning. And there were a lot of them.
• The speaker's tone messes with the story, feels like it's all inconsequential.
• The speaker's voice for Deacon is deep and sends shivers down my spine.
• Needed a little more pause in between paragraphs. My ears had a hard time changing subjects with the orator.


REVIEW

• The jumping around in time confused me. Lots of backflashes in the middle of thoughts. I got the rhythm eventually but still stumbled a bit.

• Odd random gay sexual innuendos used as descriptors of platonic things "the horse's walk was as smooth as lube".

• I was a bit baffled as to why Parish would take in stray children. And also as to why Deacon would care so much as a teenager.

Never thought to use cherry Vaseline lip balm for lube. Creative and clever and super cute because he was too shy to buy real lube.

• Totally astounded at the alcoholism.

• Crick is playing with fire by keeping the love letter in his pocket, but I'm pretty sure I would do that too.

• Long distance relationships are very difficult, add in the fear of death and *shudder* Ms. Lane does a very good job of making those emotions real.

• Amy and John are freakin' awesome freinds!

• The Tweeting was cool. I didn't even know that was an option in the military!

Read a sentence from page 56 HERE.

Read an excerpt of childhood infatuation HERE (click the expand link, midpage).

Did you review this book too?
Comment with your link!

3 comments:

I can't imagine how this one would work as an audiobook, with how it goes back and forth in time....

I loved this book but I've never been able to get into audiobooks. I need to see it and have the voices in my head tell the story. LOL sounds crazy but hearing someone read it just doesn't appeal.

I was confused by your "pause after paragraphs", I thought, "Just don't read so fast then". LOL Then I realized it was an audio book. The only audio books I've ever enjoyed are Agatha Christie ones. Not sure why. Otherwise it just tends to annoy me.

I loved this book though and reading I didn't find the time issue a problem, but maybe the use of italics or something helps, no italics when listening. The follow-up book is also very good.

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica