Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

Exciting and confusing YA jump into the Dark-Hunter world, buckle up!

Infinity
Chronicles of Nick 1
by Sherrilyn Kenyon

At 14, Nick Gautier is an average kid who runs with the wrong crowd. But on the night he decides to go straight and refuses to mug an innocent tourist, his crew turns on him and just as he thinks his life is over... a new one begins.

Kyrian of Thrace isn't just a vampire slayer, he's a Dark-Hunter and he introduces Nick to a world that he never imagined.

With new enemies who make his old ones look like wimps, Nick must either measure up or get sized for a body bag. It's kill or be killed and this kid who was born on the wrong side finds a strength inside him that he never knew existed.

Now if he can only find someone to help battle the demons that don't reside inside him.
My review guidelines can be found HERE.

COVER ART

• Convincing silhouette of a young boy
• Emblem and background tie in nicely to the most recently previously released Dark-Hunter novels.


PARANORMALITY

• Gods
• Demons
• Zombies - lots of them!
• Shifters
• Dark-Hunters


SEXUALITY

• M/F, Young Adult - just vague sweet thoughts.
• Kissing


REVIEW: Could be construed as slightly spoiler-ish.

• Initially I was not going to read this book because of the Young Adult label. Luckily, the story feels like a Dark-Hunter story and an extension of the series. Not an offshoot.

• Good vs Evil everywhere! Who's good? Who's evil?

• Nick has been special from the beginning?! Now that I am getting into it stuff is starting to make sense in context with the rest of the Dark-Hunter series. I know the future (kinda like Acheron) and can see the significance of Nick being a Malachi. There is very, very evil potential in him... who will win? And who will protect him, train him, mold him, shape him, HARDEN him.

• I'm starting to really like Nick's mom. Makes me real sad 'cause I know what is going to happen to her.

• Why am I so disconcerted at hearing a 14 year old get excited about girls his age. Society has me so messed up and scared of reality.

• Entertaining use of alternative language and phrases for cursing and frustration.

• Love seeing Acheron from different perspectives. After reading his self named book... it is just all different. This series really gains a lot from reading all the stories. You can certainly read them as stand-alones but together... well a whole new world opens up!

• I thought having read the Dark-Hunter series would help me. (See above bullet) But now I am just really confused. LOL. I'm confident Ms. Kenyon will pull it all together for me, but this past, present, future stuff is trippy!

*Note from Ms. Kenyon to Dark-Hunter fans:

The Chronicles of Nick *is* Nick’s real and true past. There is a huge surprise (several actually) in the book that I don’t want to spoil, but when you read the book, everything you think is an inconsistency will make perfect sense to you. More than that, you will understand exactly why Nick is the way he is and why he continues to hate Acheron the way he does. But you have to be patient.

Nick’s series will run until it intersects with Night Pleasures and then Nick will have his own novel in the Dark-Hunter world.

Book one, Infinity, begins when Nick meets Kyrian.
Book two will pick up the next day after Infinity ends and will be out Feb 2011.

Remember the one promise that I try to keep in every book: Just when you think you know the truth about a character or event, you find out that things are seldom what they seem. Nick is one of those characters. There’s a lot more to our little Cajun than what you’ve seen to date. That’s why it takes 12 books to tell his story.

There are many, many secrets you’ll learn about a lot of characters, including Cherise and especially Jaden and Jared. Just hold on... you ain’t seen nothing yet :)

• I really really really want to know more about Jaden and Jared!

• Loved this story (but I am biased to the Dark-Hunter series). It really got you going with high school drama and typical teen angst mixed into the paranormal crazy stuff. Ms. Kenyon did a great job getting into a teen boy's head and the yo-yo of emotions and priorities.


Read a Tuesday Teaser with Acheron HERE.

Read some Hawaiian shirt drama in the excerpt HERE.

Did you review this book too?
Comment with your link!

4 comments:

I'm tempted to read this because I'm a DH fangurl, but at the same time I'm not sure I will be convinced by it because I already know future Nick. What did you think about that aspect of it, Miranda?

Kris, I learned quite a bit of new stuff about Nick in just this first book. Very interesting and not in conflict with adult Nick. In fact, there are some funky flashback, premonition, time travel things going on that take care of all of that.

12 books to tell his story?? WOW

I really like Nick and it was so sad what happened to him and his Mom. I haven't read a DH books in a while. Maybe at some point I'll get back to them.

Loved your review! :)

Lily - Thanks!

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica