My review guidelines can be found HERE.
by Julia Rachel Barrett
144 Page, Trade Paperback
Mari never expects to find herself in a cage in a cargo hold on a spaceship. She quickly learns from her captors she's headed to the meat market. When they try to return her to hypersleep, she resists. After allowing her to stay awake, Mari realizes her survival depends on connecting with the male in charge, Ekkatt. She must make him see her as a sentient being or she will end up as dinner.
Ekkatt has never spoken to any human. They are valued for one thing, the money they bring at auction. The Attun race are vegetarians, but other species prize human flesh and bring in good money. Then the female with red hair speaks to him and forces him to admit she has a name. Mari throws Ekkatt's entire life into question, the biggest question...can he watch her sold to the highest bidder?
• Lovely simple title
• Unfocused and distorted, looks to have been designed originally for the ebook
• Various alien species, including Attun-Ra
• Super-senses (even in the penis *eyebrow waggle*)
• Unconscious rape mentioned but not described
• Warning: Cannibalism is a main thread in this story and discussed in detail.
• Interesting to watch Ekkatt's attitude shift towards humans (though a bit abruptly) and would have been super cool to be able to compare his thoughts while he was hunting the the redhead in the egg house vs later in the story.
• Never figured out why Mari was the only one to wake up on the ship. Perhaps plain old fashioned strength of will? It sure did make her stand out at the meat market!
• The alien world of Attun has lots of similarities to earth.
• Ekkatt's prejudice is so easily overcome. *sigh* It's a beautiful fairy tale, I only wish it was that easy to change an open mind in THIS world.
• Totally missed where Ekkatt's half-brother came from!
• Fast read leaves you wanting more. More detail and more story...
• Would enjoy reading the backstory about the sexual compatibility testing with humans and attun-ra.
• Would also enjoy reading the happy ever after in the settlement with possible human acceptance from beasts to sentient beings.
NOTE: Ms. Barrett just emailed me yesterday to say that she is working on a sequel and hopes to have it out in 6 to 8 months! :)
FAVORITE SCENE QUOTE
Ekkatt is beginning to see Mari as more than a beast.
"You humans. Your bodies are so fraile. It takes little effort on my part to break you. This god of yours, he is misguided in his design."
A tear rolled down Mari's cheek. "Kill me," she whispered.
Ekkatt lifted his other hand. Mari felt his fingers cool against her wet cheek.
"Another design flaw. You leak when under duress. I will not kill you, Mari." the man spoke her name for the first time since she'd given it to him.
"I will do my best to see that you are sold to the right party, to someone who will appreciate an animal of quality." pg. 15
Read a Tuesday Teaser with multiple tongues HERE.
Read an very hot and sexy excerpt HERE.
I received this book through a contest on Ms. Barrett's Newsletter. Thanks again Julia!
Did you review this book too?
Comment with your link!