Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

Bloodfever
The Fever Series Book 2
by Karen Marie Moning
Audiobook Runtime 9 hours


Mackayla Lane's ordinary life underwent a complete makeover when she landed on Ireland's shores and was plunged into a dark, deadly realm unlike any she ever imagined. In her fight to stay alive, Mac must find the Sinsar Dubh—a million-year old book of the blackest magic imaginable that holds the key to power over both the worlds of Fae and Man. Pursued by Fae assassins, surrounded by mysterious figures she knows she cannot trust, Mac finds herself torn between two deadly and irresistible men: V'lane, the insatiable Fae, who can turn sensual arousal into an obsession for any woman; and the ever-inscrutable Jericho Barrons, a man as alluring as he is mysterious.

For centuries, the shadowy realm of the Fae has coexisted with that of humans. Now the walls between the two are coming down, and Mac is the only thing that stands between them...
My review guidelines can be found HERE.

COVER ART
  • Illustration is original and suggestive of the dark quality of the story
  • Pet peeve of mine, the author's name is larger than the title

PARANORMALITY
  • Fae Seelie
  • Fae Unseelie
  • Sidhe Seers
  • Unknowns

SEXUALITY
  • M/F
  • Violent
  • Torture

AUDIO REVIEW
  • The orator does a beautiful job with the character voices.

  • Would have liked a little bit longer pause between scenes.

  • Perhaps a change in tenor between actual conversation and thoughts. I was a confused a little bit on whether or not the thoughts were being spoken.

  • The story is a bit longwinded to fit comfortably in the audio format. This is a trait I noticed in Darkfever as well, and initially thought it was an attribute of all audiobooks. Now that I have listened to quite a few more, I recognize it is simply Ms. Moning's writing style that is not in sync with the format.

  • Huge bonus: Listening to this story means I am hearing the fae vernacular correctly verses some butchered version I would be pronouncing in my head.
    Examples:
    sidhe seer, sounds like "she seer"
    Sinsar Dubh, sounds like "she sah do"

PLOT REVIEW
  • Jericho Barrons has me in a choke hold and I'm pretty sure I'm getting off on it. Crudly put, I know. But pretty much sums him up for me. He is mysterious. And at times I hate him. Yet I want him, badly and would most likely provoke him just to see his reaction or get him to touch me.

  • Maybe (I hope, please, please, please) Mac comes around to my way of thinking as well! She does mention the shape of his hands frequently. But then goes right back to cursing him.

  • One of the major reasons I moved on from book 1 is the potential sexual tension between the Mac and Barrons. I will probably plow through the whole series just in anticipation of a possible explosion of sexual tension between the two.

  • The pacing of the story was disconcerting at times. Mac would be right in the middle of a life threatening/altering event and go off on a convoluted bunny trail of memories!

  • "Everything is shades of gray" is a lovely generalization of the story, and a quote from Mac. You're just are not sure who is good and who is evil. Very nice in the unpredictability.

  • Towards the end, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the action. But so was Mac! A very nice technique, to have Mac sit down to sort out her thoughts or "the game board of players" and give the readers a nice overview of the recent events.

  • It has been quite a while since I read book 1, Darkfever, and I was afraid I would be lost. BUT the beginning has a nice summary of past events and more information is given throughout the story in a smooth integrated manner.

Read an excerpt HERE.

Reading Order
Darkfever (Reviewed HERE)
Bloodfever (Reviewed X)
Faefever
Dreamfever
Shadowfever (coming Jan 18, 2011)

Did you review this book too?
Comment with your link!

Sweet daydreams...


Comment link is at the top of the post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica