Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

My husband and I have been holed up in the house for the past week flighting swine flu. Talk about miserable. Thank goodness we don't have any children. I do not want to contemplate what larger families are having to suffer with multiple little ones also succumbing to this nasty flu all at the same time.


Anyway, we have been passing the time with audio books since the pressure behind our eyes makes reading painful.


My experience with audio books is extremely limited. I vaguely remember being tortured with them as a kid on family trips and have studiously avoided them since.

BUT the free release of Karen Marie Moning's Darkfever brought me back around. I listed to Joyce Bean's drawling tone during my afternoon walks for a while and was pleasantly surprised.

After a few false starts and a pleasant jaunt into the War of the Worlds I borrowed J. R. Ward's Lover Avenged and was entertained by my husband's laughter at the almost total lack of affect in the orator's voice. You couldn't tell a love scene from a fight scene by his tone and most surprisingly the heavy cursing had little to no inflection at all.

Now we have moved on to Sherrilyn Kenyon's Acheron and my husband is entranced. That is saying a lot, trust me. Holter Graham performs beautifully, pulling the listener into the story so deep that the characters come alive. Tone, pace, lilt and volume all play throughout his voice to create the world Kenyon imagined. Wonderful.





Overall I find that audio books are a little too slow for me. But choice of orator is the most important element. I also find I can enjoy an audio book much more if I have already read the text and therefore am not straining to hear every detail, as is the case with Acheron.

3 comments:

I hope two are feeling lots better!!

There are some great audiobook narrators out there - Jim Dale, who does the Harry Potter books, for example. I've never read the books, but I've listened to them more than once or twice.

Also, C. J. Critt (sp?!), who does the first six Stephanie Plum books is great.

Chris - Thanks for the well wishes!

I also appreciate the referenced for good orators :)

I hope you are both feeling better and get well soon. It is aweful to be sick to begin with and from what is said of the flu that is going around yuck, then what is said about the swine flu - ouch. I just hope you both get better soon!

I have not tried the audio books yet. I like to think and reread sections as I go. I think I could easily stray in my thinking with listening to an audio. I would definitely give it a try though if I was sick too.

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica