Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)





The Laughing Corpse
An Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Novel
by Laurell K. Hamilton

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter for Animators, Inc., is offered a cool mil to raise a 283-year-old corpse. But she knows that "the older the zombie, the bigger the death needed to raise it". Only a human sacrifice is "big" enough to raise this old soul--and Anita's no murderer.

Now, a creature from beyond the grave is tearing a swath of murder through St. Louis. And Anita will learn that there are some secrets better left buried—and some people better off dead...

“After a few centuries, the only death 'big enough' is a human sacrifice. I know, because I'm an animator. My name is Anita Blake.

Working for Animators, Inc. is just a job - like selling insurance. But all the money in the world wasn't enough for me to take on the particular job Harold Gaynor was offering. Somebody else did, though - a rogue animator. Now he's not just raising the dead ... he's raising Hell. And it's up to me to stop it ... "

My review guidelines can be found HERE.
PLEASE NOTE: I'm a graphic artist. We are trained to be vicious bloodsucking weapons of truth, hence the "rough" critiques/reviews. It's not that I don't like this novel. Simply, everything can be better. And examining what could be polished allows me to learn and better MY skills.

COVER ART
  • The title is actually the name of a comedy club. There is even a description of the shirts the employees wear that would have been a striking graphic.

  • Alas, a prone female head and haunting cemetery overlay is all we get to suggest the absolute GORE of this novel. But, I guess, Anita is hurt a lot... and stuff takes place in a cemetery. So not a total disconnect.
PARANORMALITY
  • Animators
  • Zombies
  • Vampires
  • Voodoo
  • Shifters

SEXUALITY
    Tension

REVIEW
  • Anita discovers a little more about herself in this novel. Not only is she an animator, she is also a necromancer with an affinity for all dead, not just zombies.

  • Jean-Claude has also stepped it up a notch, no longer requesting Anita's presence but demanding it.

  • There is a monster at the end of this book. (No, it is not Grover. *Pleazzzze comment if you get that extremely vague reference*) And only Anita understands the true extent of the horror.

  • Actually, monsters abound. Gore flies every where. I even freakin' dreamed about bloody dismembered indistinguishable human body parts in the middle of reading this. NOT COOL.

  • Zoom, Zoom, finish one catastrophe and another follows. You will not be able to take a breath with the initial reading. I was only able to set my copy down because I was on my third read through.

  • In that light, this is not the best choice for a re-read due to all the plot twists. Character interaction drew me back in about midway. I thoroughly enjoy the power play between Anita & Jean-Claude.

  • The fanny pack has got to go. That specific detail dates this book and makes me cringe every time I read it.

  • As for other details, I've embedded some links so you can have a better visual of the kinda heat Anita packs; Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Firestar 9mm, Uncle Mike's Inner Pants Holster, American Derringer .38 Special.

You can read the first two chapters at Laurel K. Hamilton's Website.

I received this book by raiding my sisters closet.

Sweet daydreams...

1 comments:

Ines is rereading the Anita Blake series as well and has reviewed The Laughing Corpse too.

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica