Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)


Acheron
A Dark-Hunter Novel
by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Eleven thousand years ago a god was born. Cursed into the body of a human, Acheron endures a lifetime of hatred. His human death unleashed an unspeakable horror that almost destroyed the earth. Brought back against his will, he became the sole defender of mankind.

Only it was never that simple...

For centuries, he has fought for our survival and hidden a past he never wants revealed. Now his survival, and ours, hinges on the very woman who threatens him. Old enemies reawaken and unite to kill them both.

War has never been more deadly... or more fun.

COVER ART:
Monotone color choice makes this book stand out on the shelf, Strong graphic symbol entices curiousity, textured background accurately suggests historical references. Good solution to the dual timeline. I am very very glad that I did not see a half naked male torso on this cover, it would have been blasphemous to the story.*

PARANORMALITY:
Greek & Athenean Gods, Demons...

SEXUALITY:
M/F, M/M, Multiple partners, Graphic abuse, Slavery, Tenderness, Virginity

REVIEW:
Acheron is the fifteenth book in the Dark-Hunter Series.

To truly appreciate the depths of this novel you need to take the path less traveled and read the books that come before it. Acheron appears unmoving, icy and the ultimate in remorseless strength and steadfast confidence as the leader of the Dark-Hunters (in the preceding books). Kenyon sets up a relationship with Acheron that is not fully understood until this book and it's heartbreaking story.

The story is broken into two parts: past & present.

I would not have been able to make it through the constant torment and pain of the first half of this novel if I had not known, from the preceding books, that Acheron would see better days. The world is so bleak, the betrayals so deep that my chest ached in sympathy. This is not a novel for the weak of heart or stomach.

It can appear long winded to the uninitiated, but the details bring the horror to life, singeing scenes into your frontal lobe that cause you to flintch and cringe. This just makes the Happily Ever After (if you can call it that) that much sweeter.

* I'm a graphic artist. We are trained to be vicious bloodsucking weapons of truth, hence the "rough" critiques/reviews. It's not that I don't like this novel. Simply, everything can be better. And examining what could be polished allows me to learn and better MY skills.

5 comments:

Reviewed this book too. Didn't like it much either. And I'm not a graphic designer, I'm just a reader.

My review: http://www.cherrymischievous.com/2009/01/acheron.html

I felt like Kenyon was exorcising some demons of her own in the first half of the book and that the first half could've been about 1/5 the size and still been effective. It felt self-indulgent.

A lot of people didn't like this book for those reasons. I liked the book but there were parts I cringed or skimmed. It could have been shorter IMO. I liked learning his journey about where he came from to where he is now, and cryptic comments in previous books now make sense.

I have not read any of these books. I may have to look into them just out of curiousity.

I have not this author at all. Any of her series. But I have heard enough about this woman to pique my interest in her though. And that is what it is all about, seeing what is your cup of tea. Great Review!!! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica