Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)





Chocolate still runs through my blood. I have a standing date every Sunday afternoon with my inlaws where I usually provide dessert.






This week my MIL gave me the Pampered Chef Decorator Bottle Set to use. So after a little bit of brainstorming I decided cupcakes were the way to go. Easy to eat, always pretty to present & fun!



After a bit of websearching I came across Nicole Weston's blog Baking Bites and her filled cupcakes. AHH HA! Just the thing! Her Vanilla Cream Filling looked just as I remembered the filling for Hostess Cupcakes - and trust me it, it is!


So... Now I am pretty sure I am going to make a homemade version of the classic Hostess Cupcakes.





I really enjoy making recipes from scratch BUT I also enjoy the ease of boxed products at times. For this recipe I used Betty Crockers Super Moist Triple Chocolate Fudge Cake mix for the cupcakes. While the cupcakes were cooling I moved onto Nicole's Vanilla Cream Filling recipe. It is a unique recipe to me... kind of has a roue type mixture that you mix with the creamed butter and sugar. Wonderful texture! After the filling was prepared I started to disect the cupcakes. Nicole's method for cutting out a cone shape worked well, but I was craving a bit more filling and ended up scooping a little more cake out with a spoon. The Pampered Chef Decorator Bottle set was too small to efficiently use for filling the cakes, but I had fun with it any way!




After assembling them I was torn between frostings. I really enjoy the eye candy of the frosting on the cover of The Cupcake Cookbook by Catherine Herman & Laurence Sombke but thought it might be too much with the filling. So I opted for a Hershey's traditional recipe for chocolate glaze from the Hershey's Easy Baking cookbook. The finished look is glossy and enticing and nicely hides the seams from the filling assembly!


CHOCOLATE GLAZE

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan on low heat.

Add 2 tablespoons cocoa powder and 2 tablespoons water

Cook stirring constantly until smooth and slightly thickened (Do not boil)

Remove from heat

Add 1 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Beat with wisk until smooth



VANILLA CREAM FILLING from Nicole Weston's blog BakingBites.com

Whisk 3 tablespoons flour & 1/2c milk in a small sauce pan

Cook on medium heat until thickened, stir continuously and do not boil (This will take a few minutes)

Strain (if you have chunks) into a bowl and cover until cooled to room temperature.

Meanwhile, Cream 1/2 c shortening & 1/2 c sugar

Add cooled flour mixture and vanilla

Beat on high until light and fluffy (About seven minutes)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica