Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

The culmination of light and dark; both in a post-apocalyptic world and in your heart.

Shadowfever
The fifth and final book in the Fever Series
by Karen Marie Moning
19 hours and 57 minutes Audiobook

"Evil is a completely different creature, Mac.
Evil is bad that believes it's good."


MacKayla Lane was just a child when she and her sister, Alina were given up for adoption and banished from Ireland forever.

Twenty years later, Alina is dead and Mac has returned to the country that expelled them to hunt her sister's murderer. But after discovering that she descends from a bloodline both gifted and cursed, Mac is plunged into a secret history: an ancient conflict between humans and immortals that have lived concealed among us for thousands of years.

What follows is a shocking chain of events with devastating consequences, and now Mac struggles to cope with grief, while continuing her mission to acquire and control the Sinsar Dubh--a book of dark, forbidden magic scribed by the mythical Unseelie King that contains the power to create and destroy worlds.
My review guidelines can be found HERE.


COVER ART

• Rich and multi-tiered (hardcover sleeve comes off to reveal bare back underneath).
• Psst... once you are in the middle of the story, the cover feels like a spoiler.
• Not in keeping with the rest of the series covers but a very purposeful design.


PARANORMALITY

• Fae
• Sidhe-Seers
• Druids
• Hunters


SEXUALITY

• M/F
• Fleeting thoughts of M/M & F/F
• Voyeurism through memories
• Angry kissing
• Intense and all consuming lust, both restrained and unfettered


AUDIO REVIEW

• Two voices means conversations go very smoothly.
• At times I can't tell if Mac is speaking out loud or in her head.
• Mac's contemplative spans (where she goes over all that things that just happened, or what might happen) tend to grate on my nerves but I have a feeling if I was reading them and not listening, they wouldn't be half as irritating.



REVIEW

• Due to the nature of this series, my review is going to have to be vague. I don't want to give away any spoilers and this is the culminating book in the series, therefore, a spoiler by just existing.

• Mac is transformed and whenever she has these bursts of character I get invigorated with her - but have also learned not to trust her.

• The Dani Daily is a nice tool used to update on the status AWF (After the Walls Fell) change the format a bit.

• All is revealed in this book and they are world exploding revelations. Each time you think things can't twist any more, they go again! The whole time I am guessing and theorizing and think I have it, only to have Mac do one of her sit down and think sessions and say everything I was thinking (which means we are both wrong!)

• The grief at the beginning of this book is astounding. The pattern of thought and pain rips through you until you find your throat tightening with sympathy sobs.

• Whoa-Is-Me is still a background theme song for Mac, fading quite a bit... she is flying by the seat of her pants as always.

• Wicked twists that your brain struggles to keep up with, like Mac struggled with her brain to see V'lane's full fae form.

• The King is AWESOME!!!!! I can't say anymore, but hot damn. That was one wicked ride.

• Oh, and the sex is super hot too. Just sayin' don't read (or listen to) this around your parents.

• As the final book in the series, there are a lot of loose ends! But I kinda like how the world goes on and today's major catastrophe is resolved... thought I would really like to know more about Christian. BUT call me totally disgusted and disgruntled at the last scene. Too disgustingly cozy. *sigh* I sound like Barrons.


FAVORITE SCENE QUOTE
The Unseele King's Hunter, K'Vruck, talking to Mac.
I stared down the leathery wing of my Hunter at the one that was flying tandem with us.

K’Vruck.

"Nightwindflyhighfreeeeeee."

...What was K’Vruck doing here...?
Its thought had been less words and more an observation of the moment.

Was K’Vruck … happy?

It turned its head sideways and gave me a toothy, leathery-lipped grin.
The tips of its wings worried my Hunter’s span, making it rear in alarm.

Read a Tuesday Teaser in strong arms HERE.

Read an excerpt of the two Seele courts standing toe to toe, ready to war, HERE.

Did you review this book too?
Comment with your link!

9 comments:

I still haven't read it but I'm lookinng forward to putting an end to this series. It felt like each book ended with an even more unexpected cliffhanger.
It's funny how her books cause strong opposite reactions - so far I've read both good and pretty bad reviews of this one.

@Ines - I can totally see conflicting reviews coming out of this book! And yes, the cliffhangers totally rained on my parade every time.

Well, she probably left a lot of loose ends since she's got more books planned in a related series, I believe.

@Chris - Darn it! It this a rumor? Guess I better go investigate.

I loved her highlanders, but I've not read any of these. Thanks for the review dear. :)

There has been so much buzz all over the place over this (although probably cause I'm more hooked into the booky coomunity) that even if I read the series I'd refuse on principle. LOL I'm like my child, the more you talk something up and tell me how great it is, the less likely I am to read it just to be contrary. :-) Oh well, in this case it doesn't matter because I'm not into it, but just a case in point that for me it's really been a bit of oversaturation on this one.

@Tam - I hear you on that. But usually I just refuse to read the reviews until I have read the book myself (when it is in my genre). But strangely enough I have no urge to read, say, the Sookie Stackhouse series.

I have yet to start this series but I love your break down and the way you set up your posts. It shows you know what you are reading and care about getting all of the parts across to us :)

There is still time to enter my Steampunkery Giveaway!!!

Mad Scientist
Steampunkery & Book Reviews
Forbidden Steam  Adult- even the Mad Scientist gets naughty!

Love the breakdown of this review. I read the book, and haven't listened to the audio yet, but I'm looking forward to it

Angela

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica