Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

Short and bittersweet deathstory.

Master Bear
by Angelia Sparrow and Naomi Brooks
78 Page, PDF

William Davis battled down his cancer three times, but he has no energy left for a fourth round. Now, he must make provisions for his sub, Chris. But Chris loves his master and doesn't want a new one. Through their last summer, as William slips away a little at a time, they interview new tops, looking for the one who will take in Chris and care for him.

As man after man fails to meet their standards, each leaves with a warning about the mysterious and dreaded Master Bear. Yet as time grows short, Chris falls for William's hospice nurse, Mike, who was once in the leather scene himself. When William's life winds down in a haze of pain and drugs, and with no firm dom to care for him, Chris is left with the terrifying prospect of Master Bear, and never seeing Mike again...
My review guidelines can be found HERE.


COVER ART
by Trace Edward Zaber

• Striking cover
• After reading the story, would have expected it to be a bit darker
• Nice use of typography, makes the title stand out
• Author names had the potential to fight with the title (just a little bit smaller would have been perfect)
• Good choice to leave the leather bear mask OFF the cover, it's not all about the bear.


NORMALITY

• Death
• Dependency
• Grieving for the living


SEXUALITY

• M/M
• Master & slave, 24/7
• Painslut


REVIEW

• Hardhitting, gutwrenching decisions. Who do you trust to take care of the one you love when you're gone? Especially if the one you love can't take care of themselves?

• The interviewing of possible masters was tense and awkward, as interviewing for a replacement for your lover should be.

• Master Johnathan's interview taught some of the basic display poses for slaves, news to me.

• I saw the reveal coming at the end, but it is such a sweet happily ever after that I couldn't let it distract me too much.


FAVORITE SCENE QUOTE
The Hospice nurse discovers Chris was accidentally injured and proceeds to doctor the wound.
The needle pricked his skin and he got hard from the sensation rather than yelping. He lay quietly, breathing, wondering how much of a top Mike was. Mike sent him into subspace with three words when even a spanking from Ian couldn’t manage it...

...Chris relaxed under Mike’s hands, not really listening, just letting the sounds of dominant voices wash over him. He’d not been this deep for a long time. Mike felt right touching him. He wanted more touches.

“Come up, boy,” Mike said softly. “I’m done. You did just fine.”

“Thank you, Master Michael,” Chris said, adding the honorific automatically. He blinked a couple times, then covered his mouth.

pg. 30-31

Read a Tuesday Teaser with Tears HERE.

Read an friendly pizza excerpt HERE.

Did you review this book too?
Comment with your link!

6 comments:

I don't think I'd make it through this one without dissolving into tears!

I might actually have this one. How sad is it that I have NO CLUE anymore?! *sigh*

I'm torn. I've heard really good things but like Wren I fear being a giant ball of snotty goo and I hate books like that even if they end up HEA. But your quote kind of made me interested. Ugh. I don't know. Dilema, dilema.

I've been on the fence about this one since it first came out but... I'm thinking I've waited long enough. Maybe :)

@ALL

Not as sad as expected because when the story begins William is already chronically ill.

*adds this one to my TBR*

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica