Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

Flirt with danger and become a slave to the Mistress.

Flirt
Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter 18
by Laurell K. Hamilton

When Anita Blake meets with prospective client Tony Bennington, who is desperate to have her reanimate his recently deceased wife, she is full of sympathy for his loss. Anita knows something about love, and she knows everything there is to know about loss. But what she also knows, though Tony Bennington seems unwilling to be convinced, is that the thing she can do as a necromancer isn't the miracle he thinks he needs. The creature that Anita could coerce to step out of the late Mrs. Bennington's grave would not be the lovely Mrs. Bennington. Not really. And not for long.
My review guidelines can be found HERE.


COVER ART
• a small blade, nice contrast to the rest of the series covers.


PARANORMALITY
• Werelions
• Werewolves
• Wereleopards
• Witch
• Vampires
• Zombies


SEXUALITY
• M/F, in a cemetery shed


REVIEW
• Novela: 170 pages including an introduction, comic strip, and explanatory essay.

• Good introduction to the series. As a fangirl, there was a lot of repetition. But that would be perfect if you have never read the series before. Holds all the classic Anita Blake elements: Sex, Violence, Confusion, Power & Death.

• Add one more to the harem! Maybe. I hope she isn't too callous with him in future books.

• Nicky has a lot of potential but I'm totally on the fence with his scaring. I guess it's better than a peg leg. I do NOT want to see Anita collecting lovers out of pity or something. Actually thinking she can fix what is wrong with them. Oh. Wait. She already wants to do that with her lovers. Now with strangers? Ut, oh.

• Anita's lioness is actually showing some personality specific traits! This is very cool. In the past, it has felt like her beasts are all generic.

A perfect quote, page 66:
What would Nathaniel do?
I did my best to put that look into my eyes, but the smile that went with it was not
Nathaniel's, it was all mine, a little bit of come-hither and a little bit of threat, as if to say,
When you take a bite I might bite back.
_________________________________________________ _ _ _ _

Read a sentence from page 56 HERE.

Read about suspicions of zombie necrophilia in this excerpt HERE.

I won this book at Anna's Book Blog during her Blogoversary Celebration. Thanks again, Anna!

This book is part of the 2010 Anita Blake Reading Challenge.

Did you review this book too?
Comment with your link!

5 comments:

Nice review, Miranda! I'll remember that it's a good introduction to this series for when I want to give it a try.
I like that cover, although it made me think of a medical thriller or something. ;)

Janna - Thanks for stopping by! :D Not much medical here though people do seem to get badly injured in every book.

*shakes head*

How can book 18 be an intro to the series??? And will it ever end????????

:D

Hi Miranda!

I really did enjoy Flirt, and it is sort of an introduction to the series... even at book 18! I'll keep reading LKH, but I did enjoy this one so much more than the one some lengthy and graphic ones, not that they were all bad either.. I like the urban fantasy feel of the necromancer. I was glad to see her back!

Dottie :)

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica