Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)





Guilty Pleasures
Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Novel I
by Laurell K. Hamilton

"My name is Anita Blake. Vampires call me 'The Executioner'. What I call them isn't repeatable.

Ever since the Supreme Court granted the undead equal rights, most people think vampires are just ordinary folks with fangs. I know better. I've seen their victims. I carry the scars...

But now a serial killer is murdering vampires—and the most powerful bloodsucker in town wants me to find the killer... "

In a world where vampires, zombies and werewolves have been declared legal citizens of the United States, Anita Blake is an "animator"—a profession that involves raising the dead for mourning relatives. But Anita is also known as a fearsome hunter of criminal vampires, and she's often employed to investigate cases that are far too much for conventional police. But as Anita gains the attention of the vampire masters of her hometown of St Louis, she also risks revealing an intriguing secret about herself—the source of her unusual strength and power.

My review guidelines can be found HERE.

This is my third round through this series so my reviews are bound to be colored by future events. With 3 times the charm, I am still enamored with Anita Blake and the world she lives in.

COVER ART:
The above cover art is what my book looks like, the rollover art is the current artwork. Neither one of them relate to the story. There is neither a belly button caressed by roses, nor a large wood drill involved in any way. At least the drill suggests scary things, where as the bare skin suggests romance—of which there is none.

Update: My husband has kindly informed me that the tool pictured above should be referred to as an auger bit and that it is very sharp. *wink*

PARANORMALITY:
Animators, Zombies, Vampires, Shifters, Ghouls

SEXUALITY:
Strippers, Blood lust, Fetish

REVIEW:
You've met Anita from the blurb above. Raising zombies is not for the faint of heart. As an employee of Animators Inc., she doesn't mind getting her hands dirty.

She is also on retainer for RPIT, the local police, as a paranormal expert. As a government sanctioned vampire executioner, she has earned herself the nickname "The Executioner" among the undead. Kinda funny considering she is all of 5' 3" and has the complexion of a china doll.

If I had to deal with the crap Anita gets rained down on her, I would sleep with a stuffed animal too. I probably would have a tongue just as sharp and humor just as dry as well.

I'm not sure if this is Dark Urban Fantasy or Horror. It is definitely not romance though there are some vague sexual aspects in this first book of the series. There is no candy coating, that's for sure. This is a fast and dirty read and I loved every second of it. The characters jump off the page and the plots twists leave lumps in your stomach.


Spoil Me!
Start out with a "day" at the office.
Move on to a bachelorette party gone bad.
Call a few vampire bluffs and end up in a dungeon being sexually assaulted by a wererat.
Forcefully kow-tow to the resident uber-brat vampire and agree to do her bidding.
Exchange threats with an old enemy & an old friend.
Go back to the office.
Scare a small fragile woman.
Drink a faux screwdriver.
Crash a freak party & raise a zombie.
Sleep.
Murder for breakfast.
Go to church and make a bloody mess.
Watch a friend die while almost dying yourself.
Enlist the aid of a friendly assassin to douse you with acid.
Sleep.
Burn some Ghouls.
Meet wererat king.
Sleep.
Go caving.
Stake some vampires.
Get caught.
Kill more.
Smell the roses.

You can download the first 2 chapters from Ms. Hamilton's website.

My copy of this book was obtained through the raiding of my sister's closet.

Sweet nightmares...

1 comments:

Ines of All I Am - A Redhead reviews Guilty Pleasures and is rereading the series like me!

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica