Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

DNF for no good reason, just lost interest. Might come back to it.

Water for Elephants

by Sara Gruen

As a young man, Jacob Jankowski was tossed by fate onto a rickety train that was home to the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. It was the early part of the great Depression, and for Jacob, now ninety, the circus world he remembers was both his salvation and a living hell. A veterinary student just shy of a degree, he was put in charge of caring for the circus menagerie.

It was there that he met Marlena, the beautiful equestrian star married to August, the charismatic but twisted animal trainer. And he met Rosie, an untrainable elephant who was the great gray hope for this third-rate traveling show. The bond that grew among this unlikely trio was one of love and trust, and, ultimately, it was their only hope for survival.
My review guidelines can be found HERE.

MINI REVIEW

• In the beginning, flashes back and forth between past and present... almost like a summary of events to set the scene and then fill in the details with the bulk of the novel.

• Sara's description of age struck a cord with me. I have heard before that your mental age doesn't necessarily keep pace with your physical, and this is a very good representation of this concept.

• On the above note, I dread the day that I will cry over the unexpected gift of solid fruit.

• Also, this scares the bejesus out of me to get old! Forced to take drugs to be more complacent for the nursing home staff?! OMG!


PERSONAL LURES

• Suggested by a friend so we can watch the movie together.

6 comments:

Also, this scares the bejesus out of me to get old! Forced to take drugs to be more complacent for the nursing home staff?! OMG!

This scares me too!

I always like your reviews. I'm trying to redo the way I do mine and am just having a heck of a time.

Hope you are having a good week!

Thanks Amara! And good luck... it always seems that I am tweeking things around here, and you do it too!

Someone gave me a copy of this ages ago, but I haven't been tempted to read it.

Praise the lord, somebody who agrees with me! Just the cover makes me suicidal! Thank you thank you thank you. Now I feel vindicated!

I've heard so much about this book (and movie). Thanks for the great review!

CE Hart - Thanks for stopping over for a visit :D

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica