Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

Dom creates the perfect sub morphing from moody professor to pierced and inked.

Bent

by Sean Michael

634 Page PDF, Published July 2008

Hammer Series Book 1
Marcus knows Jim is his minutes after meeting the snarly, jumpy ex-professor at the local bookstore. He thinks Jim is a natural submissive, someone who needs order and discipline in his life to help with Jim's anxiety and bad health habits. So Marcus decides to pursue Jim relentlessly, because even if Jim's mouth is saying no, his body is saying yes.

There's a lot more to Jim than meets the eye, and Marcus will have to be careful. Jim knows what it means to lose everything, knows what it's like to be without friends or family. Jim feels broken, and knowing that he likes the kinds of weird things Marcus wants to do to him only makes him scared that he's losing his mind.

Their chemistry is so real, so genuine, that Jim lets Marcus wear him down, lets Marcus take control. Eventually, his trust grows, allowing them to enter into the BDSM lifestyle together, learning about each other every day, with every scene. Jim is still uncertain sometimes, though, and he thinks Marcus might just want him because he's cracked. Can this top and bottom pair find a way to understand their wants and needs, and make a life that works for them alone?
My review guidelines can be found HERE.


COVER ART
• Totally love how there are no naked torsos and the cover art is consistent throughout the series. This is a print book I wouldn't mind reading in public.


NORMALITY
• College Professor / Author
• Leather Crafter


SEXUALITY
• BDSM
• Rape Accusation
• Spanking
• Fisting
• Sounding


REVIEW

• Moves very fast in the beginning, skipping through the initial courtship to get right to the meat of relationship development.

• The smexing is always hot and integral to the plot. Some new boundary is pushed or an emotional hurtle jumped. Oh, and there is like a mega ton of it. Lots of kinky gay sex.

• I was totally freaked out by the torn vocal cords. I did NOT know that could even happen! Oh, and is it just me or would orange juice on torn vocal cords suck?

• Marcus treats Jim like his very own toy doll. Before he even knows Jim, he is envisioning what he wants in his ideal sub... and I see very little consideration to what would be good for Jim. Tattoos, piercings, chores. Very odd to see it all predetermined and Jim just falling into the mold.

• I forced myself to flash finish this book. These stories grab right a hold of me and I get sucked into the character's minds. I could see it influencing my daily moods! I'm pretty sure that is a complement to the author and an insult to my mental capacity.


PERSONAL LURES
• Newbie BDSM
• Author I've read before


WANT MORE?
Read a Tuesday Teaser with a spanking.

Read an inexcusably rude excerpt set in a bookstore.

I've also reviewed Push, another Hammer Series Novel!


8 comments:

I really hate the smug dom who decides he knows best...

Chris - Yeah, I would hope that the decision to get a Prince Albert would be one of mutual conversation.

Marcus made me crazy, but I read it and I've read the follow-up shorts. SM is like crack sometimes. You just need more even when you didn't like it that much. LOL

I have to say that the short I'm reviewing tomorrow made me unbend (hahahaha) a little towards Marcus as I think Jim comes into his own some (as far as a sub can in the Hammer world) so I'm seeing more equality and not just Marcus making decisions and Jim too stunned by it all to not go along.

Oh and I am totally in love with the font they use on this series. Probably why I buy it. LOL I'm shallow.

Tam - Well put. Stunned is a perfect description of Jim's attitude.

As for the font-bias, I'm a graphic designer baby - there is NOTHING wrong with that being a selling point. I freakin' buy wine just because I like the label! In fact, I drive a Mazda6 right now just because the emblem is an "M"... like Miranda. *wink* (OK, so there was a bit more deliberation than that.)

is it just me or would orange juice on torn vocal cords suck?

Yeah... I'm thinking that would suck.

I have this one on the tbr. May have to give it go. Thanks for the review. :)

*whispers* yeah, I'm a font freak. Love Love Love da fonts. :D

Font Freaks Favor Fictional Fetish Fortification

Hey Sweet!

I've come up for a breath and taking time out from my book to visit...you've been missed young lady...are you still dancing?

Hugs
Hawk

Hi Houston! I'm ALWAYS dancing ;)

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica