Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

Holding your breath is not advised during this off-kilter romantic thriller.

Breathe
by Sloan Parker

Lincoln McCaw lost everything -- his home, his job, his partner -- after he caused a fatal accident. A year later, he's drowning the guilt and despair in whiskey, but he needs to move on. His sister and her kids are counting on him. Then he meets a man who ignites a passion Lincoln thought he’d never find. Too bad one night is all they can have together. Now he needs to figure out how to turn away from the only person who makes him feel alive…before whoever is sending him threats decides Lincoln needs to suffer more than he already has.

Jay Miller is surrounded by grief and misery until he finally gives in to all those years of sexual fantasies about being with another guy. Realizing he’s ended up in the arms of the man who caused his wife’s accident, he tries to pull away. But how can he give up a friendship he needs more than anything -- a friendship and a love that could save him? He may not have time to make the choice before someone else destroys it all.
My review guidelines can be found HERE.

COVER ART
• Totally generic. Could at least have a cemetery or the flaming motorcycle.


SEXUALITY
• M/M
• First time
• Coming out


REVIEW
• The grief is a suffocating blanket on Jay, with his family wrapping it tighter and tighter... not willing to let it go.

• The guilt is a weight dragging Lincoln like an anchor in the mire and muck.

• At least Lincoln is honest with his sexuality, where Jay is suppressing himself.

• The overheard conversation with the rednecks in the bar makes me cringe. I'm afraid that would be a common sentiment where I live out in the backwoods. Acceptance does not usually come from the ignorant or isolated mind.

• Totally intense! In the beginning, no one is good or bad. They are real people with real conflicts. Get sucked in and feel their pain and confusion.

• Jay's realization, perfect. I can imagine the butterflies in his stomach at finally getting to give in to his forbidden desire, and then it all curdling.

• Jay is conflicted but I'm not sure I would be that quick to see almost both sides of the fence... but I could certainly imagine his family's extended grieving getting the best of him and kicking him out of the hole because the are so deep in it.

• Absolutely awesome that Katie was cool with his tendencies, loved him AND them, and didn't make him feel guilty and even played to them. She would have been a wicked wife for ever and ever.

• Constantly wondering "Who dunnit?" and I didn't guess right! The end climatic scene is awesome with the integration of multiple elements and emotional twists. Well played, Sloan.

• The forgiveness was a bit unbelievable to me but it is integral to the main character's personality and is supported throughout.

• The whishy washyness IS believable and an absolute must in this coming out roller coaster and traumatic thriller.

• I just wish I could have witnessed Mitch getting his ass kicked.


Read a sentence from the bathroom stall on page 56 HERE.

Read the first two chapters HERE.

Read an dark flirty bar excerpt HERE.

I received this ebook through a contest over at E-romance Reader. Thanks again, Janna!

Did you review this book too?
Comment with your link!

5 comments:

Hmmm. I think this one is a bit too angsty for me. I also find it frustrating when someone doesn't get their ass kicked if they are evil. :-) I like the author's work, I'm just not sure. Maybe when I'm craving some angst, I'll definitely keep it in mind.

I finished this one over the weekend and I really enjoyed it. I kept thinking I had it all figured out, too, but I was wrong. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I still have to get to it, but I'm looking forward to Lincoln and Jay's story. :)

I think the flaming motorbike would have been perfect, lol! Hope all is well honey!! Hugs to you.. One day down and a couple more to go!!! Hugs!!!

I've got this one high on my wish list.

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica