Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)


Mr. Sykes and the Firefly: A strangled lust story.

Wicked Gentlemen
Part 1: Mr. Sykes and the Firefly
by Ginn Hale

Belimai Sykes is many things: a Prodigal, the descendant of ancient demons, a creature of dark temptations and rare powers. He is also a man with a brutal past and a dangerous addiction.

And Belimai Sykes is the only man Captain William Harper can turn to when faced with a series of grisly murders.

But Mr. Sykes does not work for free and the price of Belimai’s company will cost Captain Harper far more than his reputation.

From the ornate mansions of noblemen, where vivisection and sorcery are hidden beneath a veneer of gold, to the steaming slums of Hells Below, Captain Harper must fight for justice and for his life.

His enemies are many and his only ally is a devil he knows too well. Such are the dangers of dealing with the wicked.

My review guidelines can be found HERE.

COVER ART
• Indie feel, with beautiful illustration

PARANORMALITY
• Demons

SEXUALITY
• M/M

REVIEW
• 1 paperback containing 2 books. The first a introduction to the cruel world while light meets dark. The second to be reviewed at a later date.

• The beautifully descriptive writing sings to me. See the first sentences below.
The night hung in tatters. Gas streetlamps chewed at the darkness. Candles cast dull halos through the dirty windows of the tenements across the street. Heavy purple clouds pumped up from smoke stacks and patterned the sky like ugly patches on a black velvet curtain. A few fireflies blinked from what corners of blackness remained.

• A dark world of where good and evil appears segregated but viciously mingles within each race.

• Oppression of the powerful by the weak to create a downtrodden and broken race of Prodigals.

• Humans cloak themselves in the robes of faith to hide the fear of darkness within their hearts.

• I enjoyed this read, a new flavor on my literary tongue. Do not be deceived by my concise review. Part II calls to me and I WILL answer the siren song, but only when I can adequately savor those fresh pages.

Read the first two chapters HERE.

Read a sentence from page 56 HERE.

I received this book from Melissa, she accidentally bought two! Whoot—Thanks again!

Did you review this book too? Comment with your link!


4 comments:

I really loved this book. It's fresh and beautifully written! I'm hoping to get her newest releases soon!

I've heard so many good things about this book. One day, really.

Apparently Ginn Hale is going to be at yaoi con next weekend. Sqeeee. Maybe I'll see her. :-)

I couldn't read any of your review because I have the book, but haven't read it yet. Maybe I should before I see GH at Yaoi Con...

Hey honey love! I hope all is well honey! Hugs to you! And I love your new baby....!!

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica