Black Dagger Brotherhood #8
by J. R. Ward
Audiobook runtime: 22 hours, 3 minutes
My review guidelines can be found HERE.
In the darkest corners of the night in Caldwell, New York, a conflict like no other rages. Long divided as a terrifying battleground for the vampires and their enemies, the city is home to a band of brothers born to defend their race: the warrior vampires of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.
John Matthew has come a long way since he was found living among humans, his vampire nature unknown to himself and to those around him. After he was taken in by the Brotherhood, no one could guess what his true history was- or his true identity. Indeed, the fallen Brother Darius has returned, but with a different face and a very different destiny. As a vicious personal vendetta takes John into the heart of the war, he will need to call up on both who he is now and who he once was in order to face off against evil incarnate.
Xhex, a symphath assassin, has long steeled herself against the attraction between her and John Matthew. Having already lost one lover to madness, she will not allow the male of worth to fall prey to the darkness of her twisted life. When fate intervenes, however, the two discover that love, like destiny, is inevitable between soul mates.
- Ties in well with the series, but a little generic
- Typographical hierarchy stutters a bit with the Author larger than the title
- Beautiful integration of the BDB series ID without confusion
- Harsh, Intense, Love, Hate, Loyalty, Betrayal
- Some pretty rough stuff is described: bloody rape, violent rape, conscious decomposition
- The key element/repeating theme in this story is trust...
- Multiple story lines intertwine: John & Xhex, Qhuinn & Blay
- Multiple reveals at the end tie up seemingly random plot lines
- Loose ends: Payne, Qhuinn, Tohr
- Emotional process is in depth and not streamlined. One step forward, two steps back happens frequently—realistically.
- The story sucked me in! Therefore I kinda don't have a lot of bullets for you on this review. I didn't have time to analyze, too busy becoming one with the story!
- And, I really really don't like spoilers... and this whole book is kinda one. LOL Guess you'll just have to read it! I recommend it.
Read an excerpt HERE.
This book was spotlighted on my Tuesday Teaser HERE.
Did you review this book too?
Comment with your link! (at the top of this post)
Comment link is at the top of the post.