Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)


Spider's Bite
Elemental Assassin #1
by Jennifer Estep

My name is Gin, and I kill people.

They call me the Spider. I’m the most feared assassin in the South—when I’m not busy at the Pork Pit cook­ing up the best barbecue in Ashland. As a Stone ele­mental, I can hear every thing from the whispers of the gravel beneath my feet to the vibrations of the soaring Appalachian Mountains above me. My Ice magic also comes in handy for making the occasional knife. But I don’t use my powers on the job unless I absolutely have to. Call it professional pride.

Now that a ruthless Air elemental has double-crossed me and killed my handler, I’m out for revenge. And I’ll exterminate any one who gets in my way—good or bad. I may look hot, but I’m still one of the bad guys. Which is why I’m in trouble, since irresistibly rugged Detective Donovan Caine has agreed to help me. The last thing this cold hearted killer needs when I’m battling a magic more powerful than my own is a sexy distraction … especially when Donovan wants me dead just as much as the enemy.
My review guidelines can be found HERE.

COVER ART
  • Enthralling composition of story elements
  • Strategic avoidance of facial features not purely to allow the reader to place themselves in the heroine's place, but also a nod to her secret identity

PARANORMALITY
  • Vampire Hookers
  • Dwarves
  • Giants
  • Elementals

SEXUALITY
  • M/F
  • Public Places

REVIEW
  • Opening scene startling and enticing, peaked my curiosity

  • Worldbuilding smooth

  • Mental dialogue sharp and smart

  • Sense of family and loyalty strong, a integral element throughout

  • Culinary notes a bonus... I'm seriously contemplating attempting the Peanutbutter Pumpkin Cinnamon Honey Banana Sandwich on Pumpernickel, or was it sourdough?

  • Even though I got pulled away by real world demands on my time midpoint in the story, I easily glided back in

  • The culmination is not completely tidy, but enough to allow you to digest the story and look forward to the next installment in the series without gritting your teeth in suspense.

  • Web of Lies, Elemental Assassin #2 releases May 25th, 2010
I received this book through a contest on this Literary Escapism with the promise of an honest review.

This book was spotlighted on my Tuesday Teaser HERE.

And my Friday 56 HERE.

Read an excerpt HERE.

Did you review this book too?
Comment with your link! (at the top of this post)

Sweet nightmares...

8 comments:

That sandwich did sound delicious, didn't it?

Great review - I really want to read this one :o)

awesome review! I have that one on my bookshelf waiting for me hehe =)))

Great review! I haven't seen a format like yours before. I like it! :D

Jennifer over at Rayment's Readings, Rants and Ramblings reviewed this book as well HERE.

Thanks for the mention of my blog -- I like your format too -- it makes it nice and quick for me to decide whether I want to read it or not. Also liked that you mention the sexuality. I love Laurel K Hamilton's books but I am not a big fan of guy on guy action and would like to know in advance if there is any of that in the book. Nothing against it, just not my cup of tea -- now I got to go figure out how to make that yummy sandwich ; )

Fabulous review breakdown. I am going to have to follow your reviews!=)

I think it was sourdough bread- the one that Sophia makes because Finn had asked for something different!



I love this book and will definitely be all over the next titles!=)

I added your button to my blog roll!!=)

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica