Elemental Assassin #1
by Jennifer Estep
My name is Gin, and I kill people.My review guidelines can be found HERE.
They call me the Spider. I’m the most feared assassin in the South—when I’m not busy at the Pork Pit cooking up the best barbecue in Ashland. As a Stone elemental, I can hear every thing from the whispers of the gravel beneath my feet to the vibrations of the soaring Appalachian Mountains above me. My Ice magic also comes in handy for making the occasional knife. But I don’t use my powers on the job unless I absolutely have to. Call it professional pride.
Now that a ruthless Air elemental has double-crossed me and killed my handler, I’m out for revenge. And I’ll exterminate any one who gets in my way—good or bad. I may look hot, but I’m still one of the bad guys. Which is why I’m in trouble, since irresistibly rugged Detective Donovan Caine has agreed to help me. The last thing this cold hearted killer needs when I’m battling a magic more powerful than my own is a sexy distraction … especially when Donovan wants me dead just as much as the enemy.
- Enthralling composition of story elements
- Strategic avoidance of facial features not purely to allow the reader to place themselves in the heroine's place, but also a nod to her secret identity
- Vampire Hookers
- Public Places
- Opening scene startling and enticing, peaked my curiosity
- Worldbuilding smooth
- Mental dialogue sharp and smart
- Sense of family and loyalty strong, a integral element throughout
- Culinary notes a bonus... I'm seriously contemplating attempting the Peanutbutter Pumpkin Cinnamon Honey Banana Sandwich on Pumpernickel, or was it sourdough?
- Even though I got pulled away by real world demands on my time midpoint in the story, I easily glided back in
- The culmination is not completely tidy, but enough to allow you to digest the story and look forward to the next installment in the series without gritting your teeth in suspense.
- Web of Lies, Elemental Assassin #2 releases May 25th, 2010