Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)


Lover Avenged:
A Black Dagger Brotherhood novel
by J.R. Ward

Caldwell, N.Y. has long been the battleground for the vampires and their enemies, the Lessening Society. It's also where Rehvenge has staked out his turf as a drug lord and notorious nightclub that caters to the rich and heavily armed.

His shadowy reputation is exactly why he's approached to kill Wrath, the Bling King, and the leader of the Brotherhood. Rehvenge has always kept his distance from the Brotherhood, even though his sister is married to a member. Because he's a sympath, his identity is a deadly secret—the revelation of which will result in his banishment to a colony for sociopaths.

And as plots within and outside the Brotherhood take their toll against Rehvenge, he turns to the only source of light in a darkening world—Elhena, a vampire untouched by the corruption that has its hold on him—and the only thing standing between him and eternal destruction.

COVER ART:
Striking, Clean, Successful use of the series identification, Cover model easily could be Rehvenge but I wish I could see the mohawk, sable coat or cane!, Author's name is larger than the title -uhgg*

PARANORMALITY:
Modern Day, Vampires, Sympaths, Demons/Lessers, Ghosts

SEXUALITY:
M/F, Strong but not vulgar, Restrained but still hot

REVIEW:
I was just tickled pink by the use of vulgar vernacular throughout. I knew from reading excerpts on Ward's website that the style was unique but I was surprised by how refreshing it was, almost an echo in my head of what my personal reaction would have been in that particular situation. Very well done.

I have not read any of the previous
Black Dagger Brotherhood novels and it did take me a while to catch up on the vocabulary BUT this novel was satisfying as a stand alone. The awareness of dangling story threads from both the past and the future did not distract from the current story being told.

The quality that will have me coming back to this author and series again and again is simple.
The relationships are not neat and perfect. Lovers quarrel and may strive for happily every after, but it is not really obtained - as per real life. That is the most endearing quality, it feels real.

The detailing is exquisite. The language is course but the story rings true, as true as a paranormal can - I strongly suggest it, especially to lovers of Dark Urban Fantasy.

* I'm a graphic artist. We are trained to be vicious bloodsucking weapons of truth, hence the "rough" critiques/reviews. It's not that I don't like this novel. Simply, everything can be better. And examining what could be polished allows me to learn and better MY skills.

2 comments:

If you like this one, you gotta go back and read the rest. I still have to read the one previous to this - don't remember the names - all have Lover in them so they get me confused, I just know it is the one with Phury in it. Great review. This has to be the best cover of the series.

I'm lovin the guy on the cover....

Can we say yum?!

Great review!

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica