Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

A stubborn sub-in-denial needs more than one push.

Push

by Sean Michael

303 page PDF ebook

A Hammer Novel: Gordon's a retired Drill Sergeant who's enjoying his life. He has his garden, his friends and access to the subs at the Hammer Club whenever he wants to indulge his Toppy side. When Billy and Marcus insist on introducing him to Frank, he has to admit, he's intrigued.

Frank is a cop turned private investigator who often helps out the men of the Hammer Club. He thinks they're all just a little bit off, but they're good guys for the most part, and he's happy to take their business. When he's introduced to Gordon at a party at the Hammer to welcome Oliver home after the events in Owned, his world is turned on its head.

Very much a loner, and self-contained, Frank must deal with having a partner who cares about him as more than just a good fuck. Frank also doesn't believe he's like all those little subs at the club, so he's not sure that a man like Gordon, a 'Top', is going to want him for more than the occasional make-out session. Can Gordon convince him he's wrong?
My review guidelines can be found HERE.


COVER ART
• Simple and punny, in keeping with the rest of the Hammer series covers.


NORMALITY
• Retirement
• Repressed trauma


SEXUALITY
• M/M
• D/s, subtle at first
• Sounding
• Restraint
• Delayed gratification


REVIEW

• The subs at the club are like some kind of amorphous pack of wild fluffy hyenas. Weird, just not entirely fleshed out.
The man was well liked, the subs flocking to him for hugs, the Doms looking on the man with an indulgent fondness.

Gordon pushed his way through the subs. "You ready to head out?"

"Sure thing. Call me if you need me." Frank waved to the little pocket of subs and headed toward the door.

pg. 10


• Intense. Frank is struggling with discovering new things about himself that are in contradiction with his self image.

• The utilization of a safe word is a primary tool, allowing Frank to say "No" as much as he needs to without really meaning it. Part of the process of realigning his mental self with his true self.

• Finding out the nature of Frank's on-the-job trauma is a kick in the gut! I wish that had been explored more. So much there to spin off of!

• Went from finishing this story to wanting to know more about Oliver and Jack. Moved onto Owned, but not finding the story I was looking for.


PERSONAL LURES
• BDSM
• M/M
• Stubborn Sub


FAVORITE SCENE QUOTE
Frank and Gordon at the Hammer eating dessert and testing boundaries.

He ate a few more bites, waiting for Frank to ask for more. It took a few minutes, then Frank's fingers nudged his knee.

He turned, smiled at Frank. "Yeah, babe?"

"Another bite?"

"Sure." He made sure this one was extra gooey and made sure some of the chocolate from the fork coated Frank's lower lip. Frank's lips parted, tongue sliding out to clean it.

"Don't!" He leaned in and ran his own tongue along that tempting lower lip.

"Gordon..." Frank's eyes flashed to Oliver and Jack, the two busy.

"You know nobody cares what we do, Frankie. They're all too busy with each other."

"I don't really belong here, though."

"You belong with me, that's all that matters."

"I want another bite."

He grinned. "Say please."

Frank's eyes twinkled. "Now."

"Oh, babe. You aren't going to make this easy, are you?"

"I'm not known for easy."

"I know. And you know that's why I love you."

Frank looked at him, smile slowly growing. He put a forkful of cake in Frank's mouth, held that gaze as they both chewed and swallowed.

pg. 190

Read a Tuesday Teaser with a scar.

Read a party excerpt. And a First Kiss excerpt.

I picked up this book on Tam's recommendation and the hellacious MC Hammer earworm she gave me.


4 comments:

Well, aren't there about 20 Hammer novels? Surely you'll find the one with their story... eventually. ;)

amorphous pack of wild fluffy hyenas ...? That made me laugh.

Thanks for the review m'dear. :)

amorphous pack of wild fluffy hyenas I laughed too. Best description ever. And pretty true.

There was a lot of material to be covered and I found that similar with the other stories, sometimes when it got to the meaty stuff, it just kind of gets glossed over and packed away as "no more problem" in favour of "let's have kinky sex". I wish there was more depth. Still, I did enjoy this one more than some others.

amorphous pack of wild fluffy hyenas Hahaha, too funny!

I've had this one on my wish list for a while. I like SM but some of the books in this series haven't worked for me. I'm sure eventually I'll get to it though.

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica