Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

Renaissance fair folk have all the fun!

Hard Day's Knight

by Katie MacAlister

346 Page Mass Market Paperback

Fairy tales were never this tough.

Men in Tights…

…never looked so good. At least that’s Pepper Marsh’s first impression when she attends the International Jousting Competition at London, Ontario’s Renaissance Faire. An unemployed and unattached software engineer, Pepper has had enough of the computer geeks in her dating pool. She yearns for a man of yore. A man not afraid to stare death in the face and laugh at it. A man with a big lance….

Pepper’s cousin promised to find her a knight in shining armor, on the condition that Pepper walk around in wench get-up. With her mind on her embarrassingly revealing bustier, Pepper promptly steps into the path of an oncoming steed…and is rescued by sexy Englishman Walker McPhail. Once the wild man of jousting, Walker has let a brush with death keep him out of the ring. Though his emotions are clad in an almost impenetrable armor, Pepper finds Walker infuriatingly sexy—and is about to go medieval on his heart…
My review guidelines can be found HERE.


COVER ART

• Cartoon illustration missing a few key elements (black armour, cat) but gets a cross the playful nature of this story.


NORMALITY

• Renaissance Fair
• Jousting


SEXUALITY

• M/F
• M/M couple briefly suggested
• Menage & F/F misinterpreted
• Hot tent hopping
• Risque public exposure
• Rude cat climbing
• Cat worn as loin cloth (very dangerous)


REVIEW

• Growing up minutes from a Renaissance festival, I am a sucker for this story. Every year I would make my own costume and venture into a fairytale land.

• Totally intense information about jousting. It was very interesting to learn all the ins and outs of the sport. Certainly not presented in an overwhelming manner.

• Pretty specific stuff about horses too.

• I love Pepper's attitude. She sticks with it; jousting, figuring out the mystery, and kicking Walker's butt!

• I was pretty dissappointed in CJ. I'm not close to my cousins, but she seemed close to Pepper and her actions at the end of the book kinda suck.

• Walker's actions, on the other hand, are wicked! A hero with a brain that doesn't need to be smashed over the head with everything. Thank goodness he figures out Pepper and the way her head works on his own.

• Moth is awesome! That fat cat adds so much fun to the story, I couldn't wait to see what he did next.


PERSONAL LURES

• Renaissance Fair
• Cat on a leash
• Weakness for animals
• Custom Lingere
• Renaissance Fair


FAVORITE SCENE QUOTE
Sex, of course.
"This is ridiculous," I complained, my fingers working desperately on the buckles holding Walker's armor on.

"We'll hurt ourselves. Or someone will see us. Or the horses will run off. Or Moth will eat my gambeson. Stupid buckle!"

Walker snarled something as he ripped at the leather buckle on the shoulder of his breastplate.

Truly, what we were considering doing was idiotic in the extreme.

Voyeuristic aspects aside, it was ridiculous to think we could possibly make love while one or both of us was covered in protective armor.

pg. 252

Read a Tuesday Teaser with a taunt.

Read an excerpt about men in tights.

Did you review this book too?
Comment with your link!

9 comments:

If I read m/f it would have potential. Sounds fun and hey, a cat as a loin cloth is always an added bonus. :-) I've never been to a Ren Faire, I wish we had one closer to us than London.

Like Tam said - if I read m/f... :)

Ren Faires are wicked awesome! If.... lol. Well, when you need a break from all that hot boy on boy action, this one is hot and funny.

I love your reviews Sweet, just sayin'. Nice one, sounds fun. Maybe have to check it out :)

Thanks Amara!

I've enjoyed her stories in the past. Maybe if I ever get back to m/f...

LOL - Thats what they all say. ;)

I just love the title. The author is so cute with her puns! ^_^

Thank you for featuring this! I hadn't heard of it (though I've read some of her other titles), but I'll definitely be adding it to the TBR.

Alisha - I'm so glad I could add to your pile! :D

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica