Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Succinct Book Reviews
(aka Creating & Whit)

All Play and No Work
Cattle Valley Series, Book 1
by Carol Lynne


When a three man partnership becomes too much for their small Texas town, Ryan Blackfeather knows it’s time to head for greener pastures. With a new job awaiting him in Cattle Valley, Wyoming, he convinces his men, Nate and Rio to make the move.

A community built on tolerance, Cattle Valley’s one of the few places in the country where the residents won’t bat an eyelash at the threesomes relationship. Nate, Rio and Ryan fit right in. However, with Ryan busy in his new job as town Sheriff, Rio and Nate are left to wonder how they’re supposed to make a living. What use are a highly trained mercenary and a private detective in a peaceful community the size of Cattle Valley?
My review guidelines can be found HERE.

COVER ART
By Anne Cain
  • Good classic design
  • The three men easily suggest the menage
  • Nice integration of the series title with the cowboy bar on top, though I would suggest making it 30% smaller
  • Subdued colors do not accurately reflect the tone of the story

SEXUALITY
  • M/M/M, long term relationship
  • M/M, abuse suggested

REVIEW
  • Three gay men in a committed relationship travel to Cattle Valley, Wyoming; a community founded for gays. Reminds me of the Desire, Oklahoma series. (See my reviews here) But that is it for similarities.

  • While reading I had to check and see if this was a Stormy Glenn story. The characters would fit right into the Tri Omega Mates mold. (See my reviews here)

  • Shallow character development. I have no idea why certain characters do certain things. A solid picture of each main protag does not form in my head.

  • Random character variations. Stoic at one moment, playful the next... just doesn't ring true due to the shallow character development.

  • Mild plot development. Stuff happens, bad stuff. But none of it is explored in depth.

  • I find myself very confused on character motive.

  • Suggestive backstory that I would have liked to know more about

  • Obvious set up for a series

  • My favorite part was the interaction around snow. Childlike and fun.

  • Sex was totally irrelevant and lacking explicit extended detail.

  • This was an anticlimactic read. While skimming the sex, I would be anticipating the plot. While reading the plot I would be hoping for more development. It never came. And the ending, well, It just ended. No new unabusive possible lover interaction for the victim either.

Read an excerpt HERE.

This ebook was downloaded from All Romance.

Did you review this book too?
Comment with your link! (Usually at the top of the post.)

Sweet daydreams...

4 comments:

I have this one on my reader (it was free at ARe at some point), but haven't been inspired to read it...

Very nice honest review hon!!!
This story sounds like a good lazy day kinda read.
But you did an awesome job at reviewing it!
I hope your day is going great!

Miranda, I think the reason there's not much character development or even set up is because that was done here in this story, Good-time Boys 3 - Rawley's Redemption.

They meet and get together in that story and then move to Cattle Valley.

Lily - Thank you so much for that information!

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for delving into my head. It's scary in here sometimes, so it is nice to have company! Don't step on the zephyr...

Link to SVZ & Mutual Linkers

Sweet Vernal Zephyr All I Want And More Amara's Place Welcome to the porch Stumbling Over Chaos
Desert Island Keepers Bewitching Book Tours Houston A.W. Knight Book Blogger Directory
Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Ex-Google Followers!

Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome

I'm Miranda and I very
v e r y   s l o w l y review
Fiction & Fantasy & Erotica